Little Boy and Fat Man
We've talked about Hiroshima and Nagasaki before on this blog. Bill Whittle argues against Jon Stewart's assertion that Truman was a war criminal in this video clip that I just ran across. Some points Whittle made that I thought have bearing on the analysis are:
- The US made some effort to warn the Japanese citizens about what was coming.
- Hiroshima and Nagasaki were, in some ways, military targets.
- Conventional bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki would have cost as many lives, if not more, than the atomic bombing.
- Dropping the bombs killed fewer people than not dropping them would have killed on both the American and Japanese side.
- The Japanese citizenry were probably not ready to surrender anytime soon before the bombs were dropped.